Tuesday, June 19, 2012

A day in the life of the Bennett family

Well, a few actually! Last week I spent some much needed "down time" in Louisville with my best friend Katie. Friday she took off work and we went shopping in Jackson, MS. We had sooo much fun! The first thing we did was have lunch at a Mexican restaurant where they made their own tortillas. I was absolutely mesmerized by the process of it. First the lady flattened out small pieces of dough by running them through a roller, then they went into a spiraling oven, where they started at the top and ran down to the bottom where they were deposited onto a conveyor belt that moved them upwards as they cooled and finally deposited them into a stainless steel  "table" where periodically waiters would come by and scoop them up to deliver to the kitchen.
See how puffy they are right out of the oven? They flatten as they cool on the conveyor belt.

This thing was HUGE! The hand made tortillas were super delicious!

  



 After lunch we shopped til we dropped at Target, Ross, Babies R Us, Charming Charlie's, The Children's Place and several other places in the mall. The Children's Place was having their bi-annual "Monster Sale" and so we wound up actually hitting TWO locations where I scored big time! 


I was able to get Annabella two pair of footed p.j.'s for 7.99, two pair of leggings for 1.49 each, a cute onesie for 2.99, a white skirt with bloomers built in for 2.99, a white shirt for 1.99, 2 pair of dressy ruffled socks for .99 each, and a pair of pants that can be rolled up and worn as capris for just .99! I also snagged my Mom a pair of adult fleece p.j.'s for just 4.99. She loves the fleece p.j.'s and wears the top as a "house" jacket to help with her fibromyalgia, so when I found a pair for that price I couldn't pass it up. Although I really didn't find any good deals for the boys at CP, we did wind up picking them up a new shirt Saturday at Target, and some shorts and a shirt at Dirt Cheap today. All Shawn White brand, (which is their favorite craze at the moment,) so they are over the moon! I didn't want to come home from my trip though, empty handed, so I picked up this little treat for them at the mall candy buffet...


Yes, It's a 3 foot long gummy snake. I have BOYS, they love 3 foot long gummy snakes! Since we joined the Godiva rewards club eons ago, but rarely every get a chance to go into a Godiva store, I was able to get a discount on a box of truffles, and a freebie, so I did something I very rarely do, and treated myself . (I mean, I was supposed to be spending a relaxing time unwinding after all, and what better way to savor the moment, than to savor it with Godiva truffles, I ask?)
The blue one is Mint Chocolate Chip, then clockwise is a Pistachio, Pecan Caramel Sundae, and Roasted Almond.  I also got a Coconut one that was divine for free!



I'd originally planned to stay in Louisville until after supper Saturday night before heading home, but wound up making a change of plans Friday evening. We've been looking for a very inexpensive van or larger SUV that could fit all of our kids and still have room for a stroller, groceries, diaper bag, luggage for vacation, or anything else we may need to haul. Our Toyota Highlander seats 8, but there is absolutely NO room for luggage, and a stroller would never have fit with all of us too. We'd gotten a lead on a Honda Odyssey that was in Florence, AL. so, I headed on home Saturday morning. I had time to unload my stuff, load the rest of the family, and head on to Florence so we could meet the salesman at the dealership at noon. After driving the car and then haggling a bit for a better price, we drove away the proud owners of this:

It's not a great picture, but you get the idea. It's a 2004 and has a pretty good amount of miles, but was owned locally by 1 owner who traded it in on a new vehicle recently. All the service was done by the dealership, and we were able to get the complete history on the vehicle, which was very clean. It has leather seats which are a super plus since we will soon have FOUR kids including a toddler riding around in it, and a DVD player with wireless headphones. Oh, they were also running a Father's Day special, and everyone who bought a vehicle, got a free gas grill and gas tank. Greg looked it up, it sells for around 250.00, and it's way nicer than the one we have, so we were pretty excited about that little bonus too! After the car shopping was complete, we stopped in to Target and Best Buy looking for an additional set of head phones for the DVD player in the car. We didn't find the head phones, but we did find a zoom lens for our camera that had been marked down since it had been a floor sample. We'd been talking about purchasing one before we went to China, since we know this is a once in a lifetime trip, and we want to be able to capture every moment of it, to be able to share with Annabella as she grows up. This was just too good a deal to pass on, and so now we are getting used to a new lens that can take some pretty amazing close up shots from a pretty fair distance.

So all in all, I had a very eventful weekend, but also had so much stress taken off me. Getting the boys a couple new outfits to wear that aren't completely stained up or worn out, and finding a good deal on p.j.'s, which is one of the items I still needed for our trip was just fantastic. Getting a vehicle as inexpensively as we got one was a huge relief, and then getting a really good zoom lens was absolute icing on the cake. I was able to spend 2 relaxing days in Louisville, and catch up on all the latest news with Katie and my "brother," Patrick, who is another lifelong friend I only rarely get to spend time with. Each of these days and gifts were all answers to prayers, and though I've mentioned this before, I never cease to be amazed by how God is working in our lives, so clearly, through this adoption. For each thing we've needed and asked for in prayer, He has provided for us, and in this I will have faith that He will continue to provide for us in everything we need spiritually, mentally, emotionally, and financially. If you are a new reader to my little corner of the blogging world, and you have your own little corner, I'd love to visit you too. Please leave me a comment with a link back to your blog and I'll hop on over and say hi!

"And whatever you ask in prayer, you will receive, if you have faith.” Matt 21:22 ESV


No comments:

Post a Comment